What will my child learn in Early Years?
Our children in Nursery and Reception follow the new EYFS curriculum (from September 2012) which encompasses 7 distinct areas of learning. These areas are divided into 3 prime areas and 4 specific areas.
The prime areas are:
- Personal and Social Development
- This area is about how children become confident, manage their feelings, make friends and work with others.
- Physical Development
- This area is about how children move safely, use gross and fine motor skills, learn about how to be healthy and how to manage their own basic needs.
- Communication and Language
- This area is about how children learn to listen and pay attention, communicate with others and develop vocabulary and speaking skills.
The specific areas are:
This area is about how children enjoy sharing books, making marks and giving them meaning, exploring letter sounds and developing early reading and writing skills.
This area is about how children learn to recognise numbers, count accurately, investigate shapes and measures and begin to understand time.
Understanding of the World
This area is about how children learn to use computer equipment, find out about the world around them and investigate nature.
Art and Design
This area is about how children learn to sing, dance, make music, play imaginatively, explore colour and create pictures and models.